View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 11:34 AM
Supercalifragilisticexpia

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc lover View Post
notice in the video I liked below, the entire front of the Tesla is M-I-S-S-I-N-G. The lack of an engine up front contributed to James Dean dying in a Porsche. No engine up front = no protection. This Tesla folded up like the piece of cardboard it is.

Physics 101.

Why an engine up front is a good thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGv0nMYXaRQ

Same principal is why James Dean was killed in a crash involving his Porsche 550. Mid Engine Porsche 550, great race car, not so good when the car was involved in a head on collision.

porsche 550 spyder james dean crash - Bing images
You said this earlier and it is still incorrect. The engine does not perform any safety function in a crash. Cars are designed to allow the engine to move out of the way (under the car) as to allow the body structure to do its job and absorb the impact of the crash. Volvo said as much on one of their promos back in '06.

https://www.media.volvocars.com/us/en-us/media/pressreleases/3512
Quote:
“A compact format is a matter of safety,” explains Derek Crabb. “It is particularly important that the engine takes up minimal space longitudinally in the vehicle. Volvo’s engines are fitted transversely and a compact engine thus has more space to move inside the engine compartment in the event of an impact that deforms the car’s front. This helps reduce the risk of engine penetration into the passenger compartment.”

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.