View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 10:51 PM
Diesel Dandy

Post Oil Canister Gasket & Quick Jacks

Yes, there's room but it'll be a serious P.I.A., I did it on my OM617 turbocharged engine a while back ~ I had to disconnect the oil cooler lines at the canister end (TIP : buy the set of really large, thin stubby open end metric wrenches @ Harbor Fright Co.) and the little bracket that holds said lines to the left engine mount, I wasn't able to loosen the banjo nut holding the flexible oil pressure gauge pipe so that was another PIA, you'll have to carefully scrape the old rock hard gasket off the alloy canister, the block is cast iron so I used aerosol starting fluid (Ether, be careful) to dry out the old gasket bits then used a steel bristled toothbrush (.99 Cent Store) to clean that HOSPITAL CLEAN ~ a goodly bit of oil pressure goes through there so I didn't trust anyone else to do a proper job .

I used a brand new single edge razor blade on the alloy canister surface .

I cleaned the left side of the engine before beginning and again after I was done, I didn't need to drain the sump .

Quick jacks fold so I cannot ever see going underneath any vehicle using them for support .

Once you see what happens when a car drops on a human head (maybe dailyrotten.com has some pics), you'll never trust cinder blocks nor folding / collapsible supports ever again .

I'm ASS-U-MEing the shorter OM616 will give me a little bit more working clearance .

Best of luck, let us know how it goes .

I did then what I knew how to do ~ now that I know better I do better