View Single Post
Old 05-15-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Reiner View Post
1) Did you verify that the new springs actually are stamped with the part number? If you did, you know where to find the P/N of the old springs. It is stamped on the inside diameter of the full coil end (not the ground-flat end).
2) A spring will bear either a blue, OR, a red code, not both. The blue and red codes determine the thickness of the rubber pad. The springs with red & green markings are red code springs.
Unfortunately, I did not check the part number on the actual spring. I didn't realize it was stamped on there, although I should've assumed that. I did check the stickers that I removed from the springs and they did have the correct number on the stickers. I was able to find the part number on my old springs though, and although it was hard to read, it is indeed 1233212704. Which is the same number on the new springs I bought. So, I guess I bought the correct springs after all??? I'm confused. The old and new springs looked to be the same size before I installed them and they both share the same part number. Obviously, the new springs should be much stiffer than my old 40 year old springs but I can't imagine they are so much stiffer that they make my car's front end almost 3 inches higher. One difference to note: The old springs have a red markings on the bottom and the new springs have blue markings on the bottom, which obviously denotes using different sized shims. Is it possible that I can have old and new springs with the same part number but use different size shims? Also, if that is the case, the old springs (red markings) use 13mm shims and the shims for the new springs (blue markings) should use the thinner 8mm shims. That being said, I can't imagine that a difference of 5mm in the shims would make my car sit almost 3 inches higher.