View Single Post
Old 06-11-2003, 10:58 AM

Your 6 may be different from my 4, but the only things I removed were the air cleaner housing, the bolt securing the pressure regulator, and the fuel connection from the regulator to the fuel distributor. Worst case, I could envision you might have to remove one or more of he injector lines in a 6.

The 4 screws retaining the pot are hidden under pry-off covers, then the pot just lifts out. Don't forget the scribe mark! Note the white streaks on the element of the old pot. This is where the wiper brush has worn thru the deposited resistance element to the ceramic substrate. No amount of cleaning or abrasion with eraser will replace the missing conductor. When the wiper brush hits the white spots, contact is opened.

My temp fix involved slightly bending the brush wires to the side to contact new material. This way, some of them are likely to retain contact with the unabraded surface. This is a very delicate and dicey procedure that I wouldn't recommend to anyone not willing to replace the whole airflow meter if it goes awry.

Steve