View Single Post
Old 08-06-2021, 07:46 PM

newbie: Spray gun advise for Painting my W126 500SEL rear

I was doing rust removal and welding of my badly rusted out bottom window frame panel and used the KBS system to coat it against rusting again.
I now want to epoxy and buy my first spray gun and paints for the job.
I need to paint at least then bottom panel where the new glass will be install... meaning most of the panel won't be visible but I want to do a good job.

Also my trunk lid has 2 awfully large rust spots maybe as big as a letter size piece of paper. Then there are a few other spots I want to do.

I was looking for a spray gun that can live with my small 2.5 HP Makita AC310H compressor which has roughly 4 cfm max output (very little I know). But the jobs I need to do are rather small, definitely not the whole car. I could also borrow a bigger compressor from my neighbor possibly.

Spray Gun I have in mind to buy:
I checked for a LVLP Spray gun that can live with a smaller compressor. The best I could find was a Sprayit SP-33000 gun. It has decent reviews and I know this is probably a compromise but it seems that the low volume,/low pressure gun also has advantages with smaller jobs, without using a booth. It comes with a few needles and a regulator in the Sprayit kit SP-33310 for about $107 at Amazon (also there is a second gun with the cup at the bottom).

What do you think about the gun?

Then I need to get a decent paint: Base Coat in Black (Code 040) and Clear Coat with Hardener/Thinner

Any suggestions for a decent quality paint?

Can I skip primer? At least for the trunk lid I'd need a primer... probably also for the window shelf after epoxy?

I'd need help for what paints, materials/mixing equipment and sizes I need to order.

Best, Martin

I'll attached a few pictures with the rust holes after removing the rear glass and
a picture of the corner after welding and rust seal coating.
The coat is rock hard.
Attached Thumbnails
newbie: Spray gun advise for Painting my W126 500SEL  rear-screen-shot-2021-08-06-7.20.51-pm.jpg   newbie: Spray gun advise for Painting my W126 500SEL  rear-screen-shot-2021-08-06-7.21.05-pm.png   newbie: Spray gun advise for Painting my W126 500SEL  rear-screen-shot-2021-08-06-7.32.08-pm.jpg