View Single Post
Old 01-19-2022, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry12345 View Post
On the 1983 240ds. Perhaps some other years as well. Up beside the manifold there is kind of a u joint assembly. There are two rubbers there.

With age they rot off and you get excessive slop. Both those rubbers as there are two of them are probably the cheapest part Mercedes sells. Getting the part number can be difficult. If you think about it the original lengths of the linkages cannot change themselves.

If someone holds the pedal to the floor. If the arm on the injection pump is not moving all the way. The lack of those rubbers will do it.

One person I purchased a 1983 240d drove it an estimated five years without those rubbers. His performance and top speed where pathetic. I just made up a temporary fix and it blew his mind. He told me since he brought it it only topped out at around fifty miles an hour.

The problem of course if they rot off how would a person know they should be there? I purchased that car out of New Jersey probably 15-20 years ago.

You never believe the odometer on them without real proof. The indicated millage was about 200k. It ran really well. Why did they fail? Perhaps the car was run with old motor mounts or something. I just do not know. The function of that universal looking thing is to isolate vibration perhaps.

Not what you are asking for I realise. Just general information on the 83 240d throttle linkage.
Thank you for the heads up! It truly helps when these mystery symptoms pop up!