View Single Post
Old 01-09-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor Head View Post
Hi Duke,

Thanks for the info. Yeah my car has two auxiliary fans in front of the condenser. I live in Southern California and on the hotter days, over 100 F, If I am not traveling fast enough the car starts to run pretty hot. So around town or in stop and go traffic it runs pretty hot and even hotter with the A/C running.

I have twin turbos and a radiator/shroud upgrade planned to handle the extra heat. The fan I am adding has a PWM controlled variable rpm capability and it's brushless for a long service life. Eventually I'm also adding an electric A/C compressor and an electric smog pump. All those goodies need a higher amperage alternator so that is what prompted my question about the OVP.

If no one knows the spec for the breakdown voltage, I'm going to bench test one with a power supply to see how it behaves with increasing voltage input.

Thanks,
Kurt
Do the upgrade, it'll be fine. I did that upgrade to my m103 2.6 and added a 120 amp alternator from the 95 or 96 S500, I have 2 batteries (H8 AGM for electronics, and an H6 for starting the car only), I had the 600 watt fan from the w203 also (I have since taken the fan off because car temp ran too low). But I have the 2 aux fans now with no viscous clutch fan and I too am in socal (desert area) and the way I have the fans set up, the temp rarely goes passed 100, even in the summer with ac on. I run a 79C thermostat in the summer, but keep everything else the same.

1990 190E 3.0L