View Single Post
Old 07-03-2003, 10:12 PM
Sword of Damocles

Thought you might like to know about the 1985 300D I had and modified...Ran 8.5 second 0 to 60 when I could get the tyres to hook up.
What did I do? New parts as follows = pistons and sleeves... intake and exhaust valves.. guides...Engine gaskets...rod and main bearings....coolant pump...radiator....Plus, Delco Diesel of OKC bench set my injection pump ...Modifications = fully ported and flowed cylinder head, I opened up the intake ports to the gasket openings....exhaust was opened up and cleaned up.
Pistons = Second ring modified by Total Seal ...Machine shop told to work to tightest factory limits for piston to bore clearence and match each piston to each bore....Piston/rod assemblies micro balanced.... Engine assembled and checked for leakdown, all bores showed zero % leakdown, ie: too small to measure.....
Turbocharger rebuilt with new cartridge....
engine oil Shell Rotella 15W40 (Is there anything else? )
boost limiter disconected....Tee in pressure gauge to drivers seat..
run engine for 250 miles and change oil and inspect filter, no particals visable....Test run to set optimum power = boost at 3000 rpm 33 psi and rising...install adjustable waste gate bleed...
Set waste gate to 30 psi and increase underfueling untill engine tempurature starts to rise under sustained power (Did not have pyro' installed, should have done this, Doh !!!) result = Silly grin car !
Measured compressions on engine after about 1000 miles when in for valve check and adjust...all read 535 psi.
On standing start acceleration could hang the tail out for 100 yards or more !!! Sold car to doctor, he drove it like a sports car !
Estimated horse power around 200...torque, unknown. Would just have loved to put this on a chassis dynamometer ...

"A liberal is someone who feels they owe a great debt to their fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money."