View Single Post
Old 09-17-2003, 10:32 PM

I used one jackstand to support the car and the other was adjusted to take the load from the lower control arm. I have adjustable jackstands though. A good floorjack will work too. I used a "import car pitman arm puller" from Autozone to pop the upper balljoint. Then with the lower controll arm supported with the jackstand, the nut on the lower balljoint loose and screwed to the top of the stud, pull the top of the spindle out towards you and you will be able to smack the nut/stud of the lower balljoint with a BFH to release it. Sounds strange but you will see what I mean when you get there. Don't bother messing with the outer tierod. Just unbolt the steering arm from the spindle and leave it attached. To drive the old balljoint out I placed the spindle on a piece of plywood on the ground with the top of the spindle where the upper balljoint attaches against the foundation of my house protected by another piece of wood. I then stood on the spindle to hold it down and used the big brass drift and BFH on it. On really good whack gets it going and then it moves easily. Don't be too concerned about damaging the spindle. They are forged steel and VERY tough. My 123 CD indicates 40nm and 80nm for the upper and lower balljoints respectively. Hope this helps, and good luck! RT
93' Chevrolet C2500HD ExCab 6.5TD, Two-tone blue, 252K