View Single Post
Old 09-18-2003, 02:38 PM

Question Fuel Pressure Check Valve Location

Last weekend I successfully replaced my driver-side window regulator on my '78 280E. Two weeks ago I replace the Idler Arm bushings. I'm on a roll thanks to many helpful threads here.

I started to replace my fuel pressure check valve on Sunday and was dismayed to find no mention of such a part in my Haynes manual, in the fuel pump section. Help, where does the check valve live?

Here's the background. My 280E now has only about 48,000 miles on it. On its maiden(under my new ownership) trip of more than 15 miles made last December, it died on me 40 miles from home. Fuel pump quit, but for less than $100 I had a new Bosch fuel pump installed and all seemed well.

The car always starts well from cold, 3 to 5 turns and it fires first time. When off for 5 minutes after running for a while, it fires right up. But if I leave it off for much more than 5 minutes, it cranks and cranks, but does not fire for three extended cranking sessions, and then it fires up with a little help from the gas pedal. It spudders, like running on 1-5 cylinders, then gradually smooths to a normal idle. Happens in a time frame of 20 minutes at rest up to 4 to 5 hours at rest.

This has been the case regarless of ambient temperature or moisture. Once fired-up, it always runs smoothly. Recently I've switched to "Plus" grade fuel, but this has not helped the starting problem.

So where does that check valve go?

Thanks for your direction, Alex
'03 MB C240 4-matic Wgn - Wife's
From the Archives:
'73 2002
'68 TR-250
'67 Austin Cooper "S"
'59 Austin Seven (Mini)
various p'up trucks