View Single Post
Old 10-20-2003, 09:24 PM
Marshall Booth

Ken, I don't think you're getting the idea. The EP antiwear additives used in the vast majority of transmission/gear oils will DAMAGE the synchronizers used in Mercedes transmissions. The additives used in ATF will do no damage and will preserve the synchronizers. Most gear/transmission oils are too viscous. Most current Dexron/Mercon fluids - especially in cold weather are a little too "thick" too (the 4-5 speed used up until the mid '90s were all intended to be run on type A fluid which was a little less viscous). Gear oils in the 75-90 range are plainly too "stiff." Mobil 1 is a little stiff at some temps, but it's superior temperature/viscosity characteristics actually makes it better than type A in very cold weather and slightly inferior over a narrow range and superior at high temperatures. All in all I MUCH prefer it even to type A. You can of course pay the premium for the Mercedes approved product and get a fluid that I find inferior to the Mobil 1 ATF. None of the ATFs (or even engine oil) will damage the synchronizers like EP gear oils will.

Marshall