View Single Post
Old 11-15-2003, 11:10 AM

another 500E euro headlight question

I did a search already on the different threads concerning euro headlight conversions. There are alot of similar questions to the one I have here, but no thread seemed to address it and answer it directly. Here's my specific question that I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on yet.

I just got a 1990 W124 300E 4-Matic from a friend. I want to do a Euro headlight conversion and install an HID kit. I have read that the 500E lights replace the H3 fog light with a H1 driving light (pencil beam). Since the HID kit is only single beam, I would like to have the 500E headlight to replace the hi beams the HID takes away. I don't live in a fog prone area, so not having foglights isn't a concern.

My question is: Will the 500E euro headlight fit on a 1990 300E?

Alot of the threads imply no problem, others say it needs to have the post '93 hood. Which is true?

I see a pair of late model '93-'95 euro headlamps on eBay. Do those replace the foglight with driving light (pencil beam ) also? Or is it only the Hella models?

In addition, before everyone chimes in about how much better Hella is than the cheaper brands like TYC and Depo, I realize this and I'm willing to accept that at half the price. I have Hella in my BMW E30, and yes they are great, but they didn't cost me $500+ either.

Also, before everyone says that HID's aren't worth it or some silliness about Sylvania Silverstars being equally bright, I've already made up my mind based on past experience with lighting. In my E30 I have Hella euro headlights in H4. WIth a Bosch relay harness, and Catz Zeta inline headlight boosters(ballasts). Yes my lights are way brighter than stock. Maybe even 2x+. But my friend with the same Hella euro headlights and an HID kit is still significantly brighter than even my setup. That's why since I'm starting from scratch with the 300E I'm starting outright with HID. Besides the amount of money I spent on ballasts, relay harnesses, high quality JDM PIAA bulbs, etc. It almost comes out to the same price as a deal priced all Philips components (including Philips bulbs) HID kit.

My main concern is the euro reflector pattern for the headlights and the driving light (pencil beam) and the ease of fitment in my car.

Thanks for the help. Once I get a clear answer I'll go ahead and order euro headlights. If people say that the 500E lights won't fit in my '90 300E I'll just go with the euro lights with the fog beam. But if it is possible I'll order the 500E lights.

Thanks