View Single Post
Old 12-30-2003, 09:20 PM
All-seeing, all-knowing.

I had to fight the same fight a couple of years ago when someone rear-ended my SD.

The damage was visually minor looking, but required some more complex bodywork to fix, so I wanted my MB-only shop to fix it, to make sure it was done right. They wanted to do the salvage title thing, so I could keep the car instead of totalling it and getting another one. I said no way, because that will kill the resale value of my car (of course I didn't tell them that I NEVER intend to sell the car).

I said to them, "Your customer hit my car. You are contractually and legally obligated to return my car to the condition it was in before your customer hit it. I want to keep THIS car, not another car. I don't want the value of this car ruined by a salvage title, or bad bodywork. Send an adjuster to verify the great condition of this car, and all the money and effort I've spent getting it there, and that person will see why you MUST fix this car."

They did, and I got the money to fix it properly at the body shop of MY preference.

Don't let the bastards walk all over you. It is the adjuster's job help the insurance company honor the claim at the lowest cost possible, but times like this are why you've been paying thier exorbitant premiums for all these years--they will fix your car if you are firm with them.

Mike
_____
1982 300D-gone---sold to a buddy
_____
1985 300TD
270,000 miles
_____
1994 E320
not my favorite, but the wife wanted it

www.myspace.com/mikemover
www.myspace.com/openskystudio
www.myspace.com/speedxband