View Single Post
Old 01-10-2004, 01:29 PM

Unhappy The Dream is Over: Should I rebuild her?

Dear Diesel Fiends:

I bought a really nice '83 300D on eBay back in July for $3K and totally fell in love with the car. It was all original, some minor rust but ran like a champ. I did some minor upgrades (thanks to the folks on this forum) and was planning on keeping the car for a long, long time.

Yesterday my worst nightmare came true: I was in an accident. A 19 year-old girl in an Isuzu Rodeo turned left in front of me at an uncontrolled intersection (her first words to me after the accident? The infamous "I didn't see you!"). I'm okay but the car 's right front quarter is shot.

I've been sitting here all day, seriously bummed out, wondering if I should rebuild or seek out another 300D. My main worries are that they'll never be able to match the quality of the paint and the car will always look like it had been in an accident. I also worry about the cost as it now looks like I'll have to go after the girl's insurance company.

Can you good people check out the picture I've attached and give me some idea what this might cost to fix? One mechanic where I get regular work done is a MB Diesel fanatic and estimated $1500 with a quick look. Does that sound right or is he being too hopeful? Because I'd almost rather sell this car for parts and seek out another 300D that's never been in an accident. Is that crazy?

All best,

DieselFitter
Attached Thumbnails
The Dream is Over: Should I rebuild her?-mb-accident-web.jpg