View Single Post
Old 01-11-2004, 04:00 PM

Benz300

If you have a leaking heater core, there should be evidence: Loss of coolant, telltale smell, wet caret/interior, coolant in tank slowly going down.

One way to test the system is to use a pressure test. Often on older cars the weakest link will emerge. So it might be that there are other hoses and/or the heater core.

If, it is a heater core, if! then the hours for repair are generally correct. I have hear a few hours less. Someone who is experienced can do it faster.

The heater core shouldn't be that much. My guess without looking it up here at FastLane is about $200 +/-. But, when you have it all apart, you must replace any of the vacuum actuators. You don't want to have to do it all again a little while later.

I just did the 190e's heater core several months ago. Never did one before. Not hard, just a lot of pieces and parts. I took my time, took pictures, made sketches and notes, bagged and labled groups of parts AND replaced all the vacuum actuators.

It spanned two weekends. I went into the house and came out to find a neighbor couple peering into the car "We wanted to see the car that had the dash board explode"!

Haasman
'91 300E-Went to Ex
'65 911 Coupe (#302580)