View Single Post
Old 01-17-2004, 10:27 AM

ChemWeb IS worth registering for.

There's a lot of commercial sites out there that require an insane amount of "registration" .... like a couple of parts/equipment sites that I've gone to and realized that I just can't happily fill out all their &^%%$ forms in order to save $10 on a MityVac.

However, with sites like this and MedLine and other dense information sites, I figure their "registration" is kinda like getting a library card. Before the Internet became ubiquotous, if you wanted to do any kind of research, you had to go to a library. Specialized stuff often was only available in certain academic ones or at the library of a trade association. There were different standards and rules for use of these non-public libraries; but, you got some kind of an ID card for all of them.

This is just like that. I have a part of a page in my agenda book that is devoted just to logins and I have way fewer library cards in my wallet than I used to. This forum has a login. And a password. Big deal.

Anyhow, if you're a member of ChemWeb, they send you a weekly newsletter to your e-mail: The Alchemist. So, you may not ever have to sign in again to get the cool info.

For those who weren't put off by the registration, whaddaya think? I'd have posted more of the article, but wasn't so sure of the copyright laws on quoting stuff.

1984 300SD: Hilda the veggie vundercar