Thread: 1997 S500 Coupe
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2004, 11:43 PM

This is the 140 chassis, which is famous (infamous) for a few problems, many of which were sorted out by the 1997 model year.

Common stuff.

Engine Wiring harness. Do a search on "140 wiring harness" and you'll see what I mean. If it's been changed - good, otherwise take a very very good look at the quality of the insulation on the engine wiring harness. If it's degrading at all (unwrap some of the balck covering to get a good look) it will need replacement, lest you suffer a catastrophic short.

Vacuum system. Can be somewhat problematic. Door closer, locks etc are all vacuum driven.

Engine oil leaks - especially head gasket.

Tires and brakes. These things eat tires/brakes for breakfast (especially if you've got a heavy foot).

Do a search on W140 and or C140 and you'll get some feel for the history. The W140 is the big sedan - the C140 is the Coupe, like what you're looking at. They generally suffer from the same issues, as most components and the design are common.

Ensure that it has been well maintained - check the records, and run away if the PO doesn't have, or want to show all maintenance records.

That being said, nothing - absolutely nothing, drives like a 140 chassis S-Class. If you are OK with feeding it some $$ now and then, and will not let the repair costs bother you - then go for it. If you're going to blow all your rent money on the cost and won't have anything left, be careful - though the bimmer will probably suffer from a larger $$$ repair appetite.

I've driven my S320 (a 1995 sedan) for two years now, and I absolutely love it - kind of a "sport-tank" type of feel.

A final word of warning.... Once you have owned and driven the S-Class, no other car will do.

1995 S320