View Single Post
Old 02-10-2004, 09:23 AM
LarryBible

I personally believe that it is totally IMPOSSIBLE to know what tools you need unless you are very good with a crystal ball.

Buy tools as you need them. Obviously you need a few basic hand tools to start with, but beyond that you won't know what you need until something breaks and you have to see what you need to replace it.

Basic tools should include a GOOD set of combination wrenches, basic socket sets with extensions, hammers, screwdrivers and pliers. Everything else you will know what you need when you need them. Otherwise you will stand a good chance of buying tools that you will never use.

My first tools were a small steel tool box with one small tray. There was a set of cheap combination wrenches, a 3/8" drive socket set with one extension, a ball peen hammer, a crescent wrench, a pair of channel locks and some wooden handle Irwin screwdrivers. I still have all of it except the ratchet was a Snap On that I got at a pawn shop that was beat up and worn out. The Snap On man gave up trying to repair it and gave me a brand new one about 25 years ago. I put together that box of tools about 40 years ago. My Dad gave me the box and the wrenches for Christmas.

Ever since then, I have bought tools whenever I come up with a need, many times paying more for the tools than it would cost to have the work done. In this way, I then had the tools when I needed them the next time.

My $0.02,