View Single Post
Old 02-15-2004, 11:55 AM

All good advice, thanks...........

A little more to the story. We have no garage. So the car leads a tough life even when not being driven. Currently driving an '85
300SD with 220K on the clock. It's in need of exhaust system, engine work (injector and couple glow plugs) and has it's share of rust due to the road (and seacoast?) salt. When we moved here from the D.C. area just 2 and a half years ago, it was pristine. I have an '84 300TD with 250K that I only drive in the winter after rain cleanses the roads of salt. Far as I know, the TD is still pristine. For how long, though? I am told, and can see for myself what happens to 123 cars driven in this climate. When Spring comes around again, I will sell it. I love that car, but can no longer afford the luxury of owning something I can't drive when the weather is not good. With the weather this winter, the car hasn't been driven much at all. My wife and I have become avid sea-kayakers, and with an interest in camping need the utility of a wagon. I actually bought an '89 Volvo 740T, fixed it up with intentions of using it as a "pickup truck"/camp/kayakmobile,
but have been disappointed with it. I may be spoiled by MB
We need to have utter reliability also, as my family lives 12hrs
from here. I would like the reliability of a newer model Benz, but really don't want big payments. No one can guarantee what the future holds when buying used. I am beginning to think the best prediction of how a car will perform in the future is it's past and current performance. So I intend to buy from a private owner (why pay dealer profit?) who has a good car in obvious good condition (garaged, hopefully) and complete records to document just how good that car has been so far. My best bet, methinks.

Thank you for the responses!
Regards,