View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 04:27 PM
Just a guy

Re: Service B Maintenance

Quote:
Originally posted by joiseygal
What is different btwn A & B? Can I purchase parts and do it myself?

Thanks
It's explained quite clearly in your service booklet. It all depends too on your time based service needs too. You might be due for a coolant change and brake fuild change as well. Get the dealer to clarify what exactly is included in the service.

Go through the B service in your booklet and decide if you're up to the task or not. I find it quite easy myself, and it doesn't require any special tools beyond the ability to change fluids and filters and get under the car. You must also know what somethings look like when worn, like brake pads. Invest in an inexpensive micrometer and you can check rotor thickness too.

I take my car to the dealer for:

1. Coolant change. The dealer charges so little for the service (about $30 labour) it's just not worth it to me to do it at home and deal with errant coolant, etc.

2. Brake fluid change. After changing the brakes (pads and discs) I take it in and have the fluid changed and brakes bled. Again, the dealer charges what I feel is a fair labour charge and it's something I don't particularly enjoy.

3. Tranny fluid change. Since the car only needs this once every 4-5 years, the per mile cost of having the dealer do it is cheap. The fluid level is a bit tricky to set, and given how picky this tranny can be (by reputation) I don't care to muck about with something so expensive.

Otherwise, I change the plugs (time/mileage, not A/B), belt (when worn) and other stuff all myself. On my four banger, it's a snap. The V-8 engine bay would be more challenging.

http://img31.exs.cx/img31/4050/tophat6.gif