View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 08:12 PM

1984 300D Turbo Alternator

Hi all - this is my first trip here looking for advice. I am a fairly advanced DIY-er and working on my older MBs and keeping them in great shape is my hobby - they are all daily drivers. One is a 1984 300D Turbo with 300K miles that has had an on and off problem with the battery light flashing. My mechanic (whom I trust and value immensely) said the first thing I needed to do was to replace the cheap aftermarket alternator (put in by a previous owner) with an original Bosch unit. So I went to my favorite MB only recycle yard in St. Augustine, FL and got a used one. I put it in and the problem went away - for a while. I am convinced the problem really is with the wiring going to the alternator as moving the wires causes the battery light to flash. I am sure I can replace it, but I can't locate the exact wiring harness I need on-line at the usual places I buy parts. I have two questions: 1) does my diagnoses about the wiring sound right? and 2) can someone help me locate the wiring harness I need? Thanks. Bob in Melbourne, FL.