View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by R Leo
As you can see, TomJ's transmission is nothing like the one I have...my donor was an early 1980 240D. The bell housing on mine is aluminum but the gearbox is cast iron. The full meal deal is 75-90 lbs. The automatic weighs at least 150-175 lbs.

And, if this particlular box is a stinker, I also have a parts car with a decent manual that I can rob.

Tom,BTW, thanks for the pointers, I'm going to do those o-rings before installing my box. One more thing: what model did your transmission come out of?.......
The donor was an '82 240D. I think what you have is the older (stouter) one, but I think you'll need the alum plate to adapt to the engine and align it with the crank as someone else pointed out. Haven't done the swap with an older tranny like yours, so I don't know for sure.

Grim gaunt has one of those earlier trannys and I might take the other bad alum tranny down to his place and see what the exact differences are.

Keep us up to date on this, I'm looking at a TD this AM that reportedly has a bad tranny (lady wants me to repair or convert it.)

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol