Thread: What is ALDA?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2004, 10:03 AM

Question What is ALDA?

I have read numerous threads regarding black smoke in exhaust, sluggish acceleration, etc., and various references to adjusting the "ALDA" on the injection pump. My '82 240D intermittently emits clouds of black smoke when downshifting, with sluggish acceleration. It happens downshifting to both 2nd and 3rd gears. Its not consistent, often accelerating rapidly with no smoke, so I asked the local MB service advisor about this since I had a rebuilt engine from MB installed last year and I've driven it 6,000 miles so far. I don't want to have it in the shop and run normally, then get an expensive service bill. I asked the advisor what the "ALDA" was that I had read about in this forum, and he hadn't a clue. So this doesn't give me much confidence that anybody there knows much about these old Benzes. The engine is still under a 50,000 mile 4 year warranty, and I assume any such adjustments are under seal, so don't want to screw around with anything. Any advice & suggestions that I can take back to the shop, anyone?