View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 09:10 AM

Another 126 Saved

This weekend, I'll take possession of my buddy's folks 300SD. 83 with 265K miles, ivory on brown MB Tex. I was supposed to get her last year, but a change of events meant they still drove her until last September.

It had been sitting since last September out back of their farm. Previously, it was used on and off by his folks, as an eighth car.

They bought it new in 82, for the princely sum (then and now) of somewhere near 40K. I get it for ... a dollar. Along with all of the MB shop manuals, and a three inch binder of reciepts. Just last year, the brakes were completely done, from the master cylinder, to rotors and pads. And new glow plugs done as well. All work - even this last batch - has ONLY been done at the local Benz dealer.

While the paint is completely shot, as is the wood, the "taxi-leather" interior shows nary a mark or tear. Yes, the power seat switches need to be removed and cleaned up, and the driver seat sags a bit, but it is clean. No mildew smell either. And I have no idea about any other power accessories. The car was hit once, when it was 6 months old, in the rear. This too, was fixed at the Benz dealer.

So it has sat for all this time. The battery (new in September) had no juice. A quick jump after checking the fluids, and it started on the first click of the key. Moved it across the yard, to check underneath for leaks. Nothing! None!

I should have it down at the house this weekend. It won't turn off w/ the key (the usual vacuum issues)but I know she'll make the 15 mile trip with ease.

I have always wanted this exact car - color and all. I will restore the over the summer, and do the bodywork this fall (except for stopping any rust where it is at immediately), so she can replace our 02 Saab 9-5 when the lease is up. It will be another 126 daily driver.

So you'll be seeing me around quite often!