View Single Post
Old 05-07-2004, 04:29 PM
Diesel Power

I hope you're right. I've always liked the looks of most of the vehicles to come out of GM's factories. As VW is rapidly learning though, there is ALOT more to a car than stellar good looks. The whole package needs to be done right. Planned obselesence has been around the domestic automakers for several decades now. Unfortunately, I don't share any of the hopes that somehow, GM will finally walk away from that ideology of making money on replacement parts for their substandard vehicles. Even if they ARE successful, I've had enough bad luck, over a wide enough timeframe, that it will take them a LONG time to prove to me that they've finally come around.

As to the Corvette, Camaro, and Buick, they most certainly are NOT examples of awesome vehicles to come out of GM's factories. All they were, were blazingly fast rattletraps with intense appetites for constant repairs.

No, I'm not anti GM, I've experienced their concept of product quality, the latest being that Saturn VUE. I had to take a 10K loss on that thing to get rid of it before the warranty ran out after 6 times in the shop for serious problems, and beginning to indicate that it was going to require a seventh.