View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004, 04:06 PM

Sixto,

From memory my Navman iCN 630 with the V1 software won't deliver on waypoints, only on addresses. In fact it won't get the route started until you are on an existing road it recognises. At one point the home I was staying in had a long driveway, and the first instruction it gave was to get to to a recognised road. But 50 yards down the driveway and on the edge of the road it was fine.

Route calculation is about about 30 seconds from cold, and recalculation on the run is very quick - I think 10 seconds was the slowest I had at any point, with a few seconds being the norm.

A warning - the V2 version, which you will probably get as standard issue, uses a different map set, and many people on the Navman forum seem to have had problems understanding how to use it. It appears to have some errors, but I'm not sure whether this is because some owners haven't figured it out yet. This is the one with a 3D viewpoint and better POI features. My brother in UK has V2 in his iCN 630, and doesn't care for the 3D feature, so while I still have the V1 I will be able to test both out again when I'm in UK in a couple week's time.

While I haven't used the Navman's competitor, the SP3, from my initial research a year ago, the Navman came out ahead in several areas - and of course the most powerful feature is its screen quality and brightness... absolutely superb in any condition, even in the brightest sun.

I liked the fact that it will soon perform here with New Zealand software, which no other nav unit can do at the moment.

The Navman forum is at http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=36&sid=fa190eaec1868ed2fdf7e586610db3df

Ken Silver
--------------
~1993 SL500, glistening triple black, xenons: http://www.kensilver.com/SL
~1999 SLK 230 Kompressor, silver/black leather, CD, immaculate (my wife's)
~1991 Daimler, shiny grey/grey leather, best in country!
~ex 350SL, 230E, 280E, MX5 and a lot of other makes not nearly as nice.