View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 11:57 PM

Broken Neutral Safety Switch and replacing shifter bushings

Worked on my daughters and sons cars today.
While we were at it I decided to replace the shifter bushings since mine were rattling.
Did the 240D's while I replaced the transmission rear seal, another story, and figured I would jack up the 300TD, place the front on jack stands and replace the bushings.
First replacing the bushings is a PITA. They are hard to get into the hole. Need some serious forcing with a screw driver. Had to take the shifter rod out of the car to get the front/tranny bushing in. Not very much room next to the tranny of the 300TD. Lots more room in the 240D, the tranny is more forward in the tunnel
The rear bushing, or shifter bushing has room around it so it is doable in the car. Otherwise you will have to remove the entire shifter assembly.
Removed the rod and installed the bushing. Reinstalled the rod HOWEVER I did not properly install the neutral safety shift lever into the metal shifter lever on the transmission. The result was when I moved the shift lever to the park position. I broke the plastic lever INSIDE the switch. Drilled the rivets out and opened it up. Broke the thing.
Now what's interesting. We have no working car.
240D drive-shaft out, LCA bushing out, battery tray out
560SL idling rough and I hope the air pump clutch made the terrible noise, if not It might be the timing chain rails
65 Mustang in the middle of installing the AC system.
300TD neutral safety switch.
Tomorrow My sons friend will take us to the dealer for the part. Then I promise I will not touch the 300TD until the 240D and Mustang are on the road.

Tomorrow night is the Barbecue get together at the West End in Dallas. Got to get the car running.

What I learned, besides don't work on the only car you have running.

To replace the shifter bushings it is easier to remove the rod and do the forward/tranny bushing on the work bench. To remove the rod, remove the bolt/nut assembly holding the shifter lever to the transmission rod that comes out of the tranny.
Remove the rod toward the rear.
When putting the rod back on the shifter shaft, ensure the neutral switch rod is inserted into the shifter rod that attaches to the tranny. The neutral switch has about a 90 degree movement and you can position the black plastic switch lever as you install the shifter lever.
Install the bolt/nut unit on to the tranny shaft and tighten.
IF you break your switch your car will not start and the backup lights will not illuminate.
If the black plastic lever can go around 360 degrees, you broke the lever inside the switch.
You can take the switch off the tranny without draining the fluid. It's attached with 2 10mm bolts. It does require a small ratchet to remove them. Not much room in the 300TD transmission tunnel.
To do it rotate the white electrical connection locking ring. Rotate the front part clockwise until the tabs on the black connection are free. Then pry the switch out with a screwdriver. 2 would be best. Unscrew the 2 bolts and the unit will lift off. The shift rod lever must be off the tranny to remove the switch.
Have friend drive you to the dealer for your new part and install it.

Dave

A picture of the broken switch.
Attached Thumbnails
Broken Neutral Safety Switch and replacing shifter bushings-neutral-safety-swt.jpg  
1986 300SDL, owned 1993-2004
1999 E300, owned 1999-2003
1982 300TD, 213,880mi, owned since Nov 18, 1991- Aug 4, 2010 SOLD
1988 560SL, 100,000mi, owned since 1995
1965 Mustang Fastback Mileage Unknown(My sons)
1983 240D, 176,000mi (My daughers) owned since 2004
2007 Honda Accord EX-L I4 auto, the new daily driver
1985 300D 264,000mi Son's new daily driver.(sold)
2008 Hyundai Tiberon. Daughters new car

Last edited by whunter; 11-01-2010 at 03:48 AM. Reason: spelling