View Single Post
Old 06-13-2004, 12:08 PM

While I enjoy my Fintail, it will never be my only vehicle. It's 44 years old and I'd like it to last awhile. Besides, around here I need something to drive in winter but with AC for summer. The newest vehicle I own is an '87 Isusu pickup. I bought it in 1990 and one of my criteria then was 'no computer'. Due to trucks being allowed some slack on EPA regulations at that time, it was one of the last gas vehicles sold in the US without a computerised feedback carburetter. Three years ago, after 120,000 mostly trouble-free miles with my pickup, I decided to get something a bit more comfortable and economical for my frequent trips to my parents home in Virginia Beach. I bought a friend's '84 Honda Accord for $550. It DOES have a computerised carburetter. So far (fingers crossed) the few problems I've had with the Honda haven't involved the electronics. (And 30 - 35 MPG ain't bad either!)

I often read the Tech Help Forum and there are often scary discussions about attempts to repair mid '90s Mercedes engine electronics problems, including $800 throttle actuators, $1800 engine computers and other expensive electronic components (Often getting replaced without successfully solving the problem!) Yesterday A friend called me about his 2000 ML320. His 'check engine' light came on and the Mercedes dealer told him it was an O-2 sensor. To save money, he asked me if I could replace it. I asked him, assuming the O-2 fault WAS a bad sensor and NOT a wiring problem, did they tell him WHICH of the FOUR $160 O-2 sensors on his ML320 needed to be replaced or did he just want to go ahead and change all of them? My friend changed his mind instead.

Every new car sold in the US today has some or all of this same technology. They say people want it & need it (but then, they don't want to pay for it when it breaks!) If this technology has become so difficult and expensive to repair, I wonder if manufacturers see it as a bonus to be able to force frustrated owners of faulty cars to buy new ones. I can see how a major electronics failure in a cheaper car would justify junking it.

Happy Motoring, Mark