View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 06:08 PM

Thinking of buying a 300D or so...

Hi everybody, I am the current owner of a 2003 Golf TDI 5 speed. My name is Randy and I am originally from Germany, new to the states so please forgive my ignorance to the American market of cars. I would like to have a second car, and it must be a diesel i will not tolerate a gasoline car, they annoy me, don't ask. I would love to have a 300D or 300SD, i really like the 123 and 126 style, but I want utmost reliability, not a fixer upper. The last thing i want to do is have a list of repairs for a car that i buy, or be scared to be left at the side of the road, I am willing to pay up to about 6 thousand US. I am located in southern california. What should i look for? JamesStein has helped me tremendously but he told me also that i should ask around as well. How fast are these 300Ds and SDs? Would i be better getting a 123 if i want reliability over the 126? I even like the 124, but any of these must be with turbo... I am used to an Upsolute chipped 5 speed TDI. I know they will be slower but I want to be able to cruise at 140KM/h on the highway with ease. Thank you very much in advance for your input