View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 11:46 PM

Got Air Moving in the 107SL Now

Glad to have my son home for a few days. He's capable of tearing about anything apart and putting it back together. He tackled the blower on the SL last night and today.

Last night he removed the blower motor and fan to knock 19 years of dust and grime build up out of it. Also took the brushes out and did some tinkering with them. Put it back together and checked it out. Had a noticeable increase in air flow just by doing that. However, the big difference came from two things: (1) removing a rag from the hose to the left side driver's vent. Somebody had clogged it...by mistake I presume; and (2) duck taping a zip lock bag over the lower vent holes and forcing the air out the top vents. Seems the air going through the lower vents was not making it into the cabin beccause the vent holes had never been cut into the under dash covers. So the air coming out of those vents was just circulating inside the dash.

While the latter may not be an optimum solution for some, it fits me just fine. I'll get enough heat out of the two side and defroster vents during the colder weather and I'm certainly getting adequate air flow through the three center and two side vents now. In fact, I'm getting as much air flow on the third fan speed setting as I was on the fourth (manual system) speed previously. It's like getting another higher speed setting on the fan.

Some may not like taping up the vents under the dash, but the increased air flow is significant.