View Single Post
Old 08-24-2004, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwbuge
Everyone has an opinion about oil. I used nothing but Castrol in my 241,000 miles Subaru. In my 300SD I use Havoline. It is inexpensive. To each his own but I kind of chuckle when I see you guys pating that much for Mobil 1.
One of the things about the use of synthetic oil is the extended drain interval. Most diesel cars using a synthetic oil for diesels (has additive package for soot not found in regular synthetic oil) can easly go 10 to 20 thousand miles on an oil change. That means you have to have 3 or more oil changes to find the cost ratio for the oil and filters, but also you time. This will scare a lot here to death, but it has been proven on a regular basis. VW has a 10,000 mile oil change period for it's diesels running a proper synthetic oil, same with new MB diesels. I am now running Mobil's Truck & SUV oil in my MB as I do in our Jetta TDI (diesel) it is the exact same oil that is also sold as synthetic Delvac 1 5w-40 for diesels as per MSDS data sheets by Mobil.

I sent in an oil sample from my '00 NB at the 40,000 mile mark that had 11,xxx miles in the engine and sample came back perfect and was good to go for another 10k miles. I changed the oil anyway because I figured if I went two years I would forget how to do the oil change and need to be retrained. I just changed the oil in the Jetta Sunday (40,144 miles) and when I checked the dipstick it was still on the mark and had not used an oz of oil.

VHunter you have apparently run your oil passed it's service life buy going the same distance as you would with your synthetic oil. Only difference in the 15w-40 Mobil 1 and Mobil Delvac 1 5w-40 besides weight is the 15w-40 doesn't has as strong of a soot additive package.

'13 Chrysler 200 Touring Candy Red. Grandma's ride.

Age and cunning will always over come youth and vigor.

Last edited by oldnavy; 08-24-2004 at 09:37 AM.