View Single Post
Old 10-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Geezer

Hi Kevin.

I was being somewhat serious, but failed to include that a significant part of the decision making process should be reading, understanding and following the Owner's Manual, usually found in the dusty shelves of a Public Library.

Whunter makes the excellent point that the OMs define different types of service, and adjust recommended service intervals accordingly.

As you observed that the 'average' owner understands the 3 month/3,000 mile oil change interval (one-size-fits all) without realizing that this is usually for Severe Service, because they have no knowledge that there is such a thing as Severe Service, and it's probably just the opposite of what they think.

Some will rely on their indy or dealer for advice. As such, how many dealers or independent services will recommend a brake fluid change? (Show of hands?)

On a side note, all of my car crashes have been due to judgement failure, not mechanical failure. Of course there was one flat tire on a motorcycle, not due to underinflation or tread depth, that left me pretty busted up laying in the median of a Detroit freeway ...

I am in favor of changing the brake fluid, as well as other maintenance.

Very interesting thread.

Jim

Last edited by Jim H; 10-10-2004 at 05:08 PM.