View Single Post
Old 10-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Senior Benz fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbeardb
I fugure since I'm new to Mercedes and Diesel in general, I'll skip this "beater" buy. I thought if it was cheap and I could fix it up, I couldn't pass the deal. I wasn't really even looking for a car. But now that I have been looking, I am hooked!

I went and looked at a beautiful 1983 300sd with 156K on it. It looked as if it were 5 years old, not 20! Everything worked, all windows, sunroof, AC, tranny, everything I could think of and read to look out for... She says the engine leaks a little oil, but here mechanic says "if it's diesel and doesn't leak oil, there's something wrong with it." I don't know about that. Sure the compression is high, but still... I'm not sure. There weren't puddles or anything though.

And the drive. Man, these cars really kick ass! So smooth and quite. Sure, it's slow as hell off the line, but when that turbo kicks in, sweet. She says she can cruise at 100mph in the sucker. Don't know if I like that she has been doing that, but I would be if I bought it. She aslo claims 38MPG which I'm leary of. I've seen online 22-30, but nothing really that high.

Anyway, a beatiful car for $4000. I gotta think about it since, like I said, I wasn't even looking for a car.

But man, it almost like getting a "new" car for 4 grand. When can you do that?
I'd question that milage too, I have a 300SD but a 116 chassis. I average 24 and never got more than a few MPG more than that ever.
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche