View Single Post
Old 10-12-2004, 11:00 PM

OK, looking at that image, it'd be more like the 3 or 4 o'clock position relative to the chrome button, then a rod (not wire, too weak, more like a brazing rod) is inserted into the hole, at such an angle it'll hit the lever on the latch that the lock would be pushing on. You're using this rod to do the job the lock cylinder would do. NORMALLY this would open it. Unless the latch itself is junk. If you need to knock out the lens, find out if one is cheaper, I don't think it matters as far as unscrewing the striker.
If you need to drill, I think you need to drill through the chrome piece and the body, but after you replace the chrome piece you won't see the hole. Be sure to drill slightly in towards the centerline of the car.
The lock is vacuum actuated, no wire. I'd be more inclined to mess with the KEY in this rear lock cylinder than any other approach to the problem. You could luck out. If it opens, remove the bolts that hold the striker in palce IMMEDIATLY before it accidentally gets closed again!

Gilly