View Single Post
Old 10-22-2004, 08:54 PM

Tale of woe with the 123 motor mounts

RE: a 1985 300TDT (123.193) For the life of me I CANNOT remove the motor mounts on this car. I have read all the previous threads on this topic and still can't understand how you remove those damn screws. The outer 6mm (I think) allen screw comes out with little effort. On the underside, the large 10mm allen head comes out easily enough. The inner 6mm allen head (closest to the engine on both mounts) is impossible to get access to. I don't get it. The engine carrier arm is in the way - even with the engine raised as high as it can go. You can't fit a conventional L-shaped allen wrench in there, not enough torque and the hole this allen bolt sits in is too deep. Plus the bolt has been in there for twenty-years now, and full of crud which makes it REALLY hard to get a good bite with the allen bit. How the hell do you do it?

On the passenger side, the turbo charger is constantly in the way. I think the previous owner may have tried the engine-side bolt a few times - it appears to be stripped. I suppose I'll have to drill it out from the underside.