View Single Post
Old 10-27-2004, 06:58 PM
"Da Benzito"

Now that we have that matter cleared up, we can get to the heart of my question. I actually have an 1985 300sd and a 1986 300sdl. I am not too fond of the 300sdl though, because it has so many little problems that I don't even bother it. The 300sd on the otherhand is in excellent condition, seeing as how we have had it since it was new in 1985. The boost gauge I have is an autometer ultralite unit which we have been able to get it to read a vacuum, but no boost, the gauge doesn't move past zero on the boost side. I got another gauge to verify that the problem was not in the gauge and it is not. I wanted to see if there was a way to overide the wastegate on these units. If the flap is open and stopping me from building boost pressure then I will have to remove the turbo to try to fix the problem, correct. It would be less expensive for me just to switch it out with another turbo, because I currently have or have access to both the 3k turbo unit or the garrett unit. Which unit would be better to have installed if a swap is neccessary, because some have told me that garrett makes the best turbos, while others have said the 3k would work better. My only problem is that I don't want to pay somebody to swap the turbo out of my car now if it is not defective.