View Single Post
Old 11-02-2004, 08:21 PM
BioDiesel Hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheaddoctor
I think China has Far more than 5 times the population of the USA. India is about at that level and china is far bigger. Now who produces these facts, the Left leaning Enviromental lobby or the UN with its anti USA agenda. They are clearly slanted by design.
China's population, est. July 2003: 1,286,975,468
India's population, est. July 2003: 1,049,700,118
US's population, est. July 2003: 290,342,554
China has about 4.43 times US's population.
India has about 3.62 times US's population.

I know that a lot of analyses of the numbers I quoted come out slanted one way or the other depending on who's talking, but the numbers themselves are pretty simple statistics, and not subject to much 'spin' by liberal or conservative groups.

Quote:
I am not against pollution controls. I am against the overzealous loons in Cali trying to dictate to the rest of us.
I admit they are overzealous frequently, but they aren't doing a great job of dictating to the rest of us. I'm all for state's rights, and that includes the other state's right to do what they think is best for themselves, regardless of what Cali does.

Quote:
Factor in most of China is heated not with electricity but Coal, wood and cow dung. Pollution comes from more sources than cars. Factor in Industries in china that are completely unregulated. India is more fortunate in that its climate means heating needs are limited to certain geographic areas, but again lots of industry unregulated and most of the cars, Motorcycles and mopeds are gross polluters by US Federal standards.
Thats true, China's coal usage has gone up a lot recently, and that is definately a problem... Imagine early 1900's London, only with 1.2 billion people... Bad news.

However, while their plants aren't as clean as ours, their consumption per capita is still less than ours, something like 1.3 billion tons in 2000 vs. our 1.0 billion during the same time period. Still less per capita. More soot output, but less per-capita CO2 output.

Quote:
Chinas enviromental damage do to dumping and total lack of industrial smog controls makes Russia and its factory cities look like enviromental gardens of eden. Hell even national Geographic had extensive articles to that effect.
Again, true.. Their propensity for putting up dams with complete disregard for the rest of the freshwater chain doesn't help either. They are rushing to industrialize, and its costing them their environment.

Quote:
Yet the Kyoto treaty exempts them and the liberals bash the USA for refusing to ratify a treaty writen by design to wreck only the US economy if followed to the letter.
I think the more rational criticism of our refusal is that we didn't make an attempt to fix the treaty, or make it better. We just said, "no way, jose!" instead of, "Lets use this as an opportunity to work with our neighbors to figure out a solution that works for all of us." The treaty as it stood probably wasn't the best thing to jump in on.

Quote:
Yes China and India use far less electricity per capita then Americans, so does most of central and south america and every other less developed country. But even the worst of our generating plants is cleaner then the best of theirs.
Yes, cleaner plants help, but our huge per-capita consumption is still gonna get us, one dirty plant vs. 10 clean ones isn't a great tradeoff.

Quote:
I support the US Federal clean air act, NOT the Peoples republic of Kalifornias version. I would love the new mercedes diesel and if it wasn't priced at twice what I can afford I would have one.
Our clean air act isn't in a great shape right now, but it has the makings for something better, hopefully our govt pursues it with earnest... And we definately agree on a few things, I'd be all over one of those new CDI's, though I'd need to do some more research on its biodiesel feasibility!

Peace,
Sam

P.S. Another great site for doing little bits of off the cuff research: http://www.nationmaster.com, lets you generate all sorts of cool graphs and comparisons and stuff. Statistic lover's dream.

1982 300TD Astral Silver w/ 250k (BIO BNZ)
2001 Aprilia SR50 Corsa Red w/ 5.5k (>100 MPG)