Thread: Squeeky Pete
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2004, 04:13 PM
Senior Benz fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott98
Jen,

I was in your shoes a few weeks ago. My upper control arms and tie rods were all shot. I never did any suspension work before and was questioning my ability to do the work. I think at the very least you can replace the upper control arms yourself. This was a very easy job. You can do a search under my name where I posted about it. The tie rods aren't that much harder but can be a pain in the but to pop loose. Do a search under my name and you can find out more about it. I just learned of a tool (you can see it in the post) that probably would have made the job a lot easier.

Neither of these jobs requires a spring compressor. That's why I did them myself. You can at least do some of the work yourself and have the mechanic do the rest. That will really cut down on the bill. I know I would never attempt the lower ball joints because that just seems beyong my abilities.

Good luck.

Scott
Yes the lower control arms require special tools that are very expensive for 1 time use. And the coil springs are another issue altogether. Not for the faint of heart I must say. Do everything bu the LCA and pay the shop to do that one . OH.......the Lower ball joint on a 116 is in the steering knuckle not the LCA, and that needs dissassembled for the tools to fit, fair amount of labor there too. I think the 123 or the 126 is simmular but I never looked at one of those close up.
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche