View Single Post
Old 11-18-2004, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Warden
Q: Am I getting scared?

A: Yes. Very much so. We have an administration that got elected by barely more than half of the popular vote, who is acting as though they received a supermajority (and have been ever since 2000; I expect it will get worse, though). On top of that, we have a Congress with both houses under the control of the same party that's in the White House. The Supreme Court is currently barely under the control of the same party, but with retirements looming, this hold on the Court will likely get stronger. I'm not sure if all three branches of the federal government have been under the control of one party in the past, but I don't see much in the way of checks and balances. Coupled with the attitude of this administration regarding people who don't agree with them... *shudders*

Q: Are you the only one who sees similarities with these and events in Germany 1935-36?

A: The apparent lack of checks and balances does remind me of this. However, I don't think things have progressed to that point...yet, at least. Doesn't mean it can't happen, though, and that's why I'm so worried.
I concur with this well-reasoned statement. I don't think most mainstream Republicans yet realize just how radical this administration is. Some moderate Republicans in Congress are starting to show signs that they are less enamored of Bush and his crowd.

In any case, with the Democrats weakened and with Republicans controlling all branches of the federal government, I do think it's an unsettling time.

Joe B.