View Single Post
Old 11-21-2004, 01:54 PM
YCAGWYW

Mystery Eng. Stumble..Altitude?

Ok...OK..now it's happened again..

Here in OH, my 300TD has an engine stumble at low RPM's and is a bit tough to start, even when it's warm. BUT..when I drive to Savannah GA to visit my daughter, the symptoms are MARKEDLY reduced..and even disappear. Last spring I had only a few mins to visit the wonderful Diesel Dr there in SAV, Dietmar Strohmetz, Autobahn Service Center. He said the injector timing was not the problem, and it was hard for him to diagnosis without experiencing it and having the car a while, which was not possible.

The car acted wonderfully as soon as I got to Sav. again this weekend. .. and again began its mystery stumble after leaving Sav and getting into the higher hills of NC.

It suffers NO loss of power at any rpm over, maybe 1200, *guess because, tach inopperative*

Now, is my engine:

1.) Suffering from some altitude sickness like, maybe Diesel Bends? *cough, sorry*

2.) Patently Petrified of Herr Strohmetz, and so cant 'be bad' within his radious of influence?

3.) Simply likes hanging out In Sav with all the other older cool MB's and hates Zanesville because it's in the only 300TD within 3 parsecs.

Feel free to adorn, complicate or solve the riddle.
Thanks.. Fish E Frank
'81 black 300TD Fenix, risen and sold, now residing in NJ