View Single Post
Old 11-29-2004, 04:04 PM

Should I clean my prechambers too?

Forgive my inevitable stream of conciousness here I tend to think alot while typing.

I've been experiencing a strange power loss on my wifes '83 300D. This car has been converted to WVO and the power loss is most noticable when running on WVO. On Diesel the car won't top 80. On WVO it won't go past 50. I'm assuming there is a leak or many leaks.

I have replaced both the pre and primary fuel filters.
I have replaced the lift pump gasket and the primer pump.
I have replaced the injector return lines.

As you can see by the attached photo the appears to be a leak around the back 3 injectors. I'm not positive that the leak wasn't originally from the return lines. Since they were pretty much toast. Based on what I can gather there very well may be a ton of this gunk down in the prechamber above the heat shields. Of course this stuff could also be oozing up from there as well.

Is there an easy way to clean this when I pull the injectors? Or would it be best to pull the prechambers out to clean them?

On another side but related note, does anyone know where I can get some narrow (think detail paintbrush) brushes that are either brass or stainless steel? I've tried removing that crud from around my injectors but I am affriad of really messing something up by scraping it off with a screwdriver or awl and I can't get a standard wire brush in there.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I clean my prechambers too?-injectors2.jpg  

I'm not a certified mechanic, but I did stay at a HolidayInn Express last night.