View Single Post
Old 12-04-2004, 04:24 AM

300SD sunroof help needed

I've posted this up in the tech forum, and over in BenzWorld with no results. I hope my diesel friends are able to assist.

I have an '82 300SD ( W126) that I am repainting due to a failed clear coat. I must remove the paint to bare metal as it has too much paint for a simple respray. I had to resort to using a chemical stripper because the paint was just too tough to remove by sanding only. I need to replace the sunroof weatherstrips--not only because they are old and worn, but to do a proper repaint. Also, they are surely contaminated with the stripper and the top coat will bubble in that area if I don't.
The problem is I can't see how to remove the sliding roof headliner. I have the FSM. It says to open the roof 3/4 of the way , ( OK I can do that). Then it says to unclip the headliner at the front --4 clips. This is what has me stumped. I can't see the clips, and I am afraid to simply pull down on the headliner for fear of wrecking it. Cananyone advise me how this headliner comes out? Are there any other details in removing the weatherstrips that aren't obvious?
Thanks for any help. ( I know my friends here in the Diesel Discussion won't ignore my plea for help!)