View Single Post
Old 12-16-2004, 08:44 PM

You do not understand your risk.

Hello rwthomas1
This is NOT a gas engine.
The crank case is under pressure at speed/load, gasses and liquid oil are blowing into the oil separator under pressure, plus your alteration adds direct turbo suction.
With your alteration; 100% of gasses and liquid goes directly into the combustion chamber, a sure recipe for disaster sooner or later.
This is an OM617 Mercedes Benz, please do not try to compare it to a VW Jetta, the technologies are not the same.
The 79/80 SD turbo had a different setup, Mercedes Benz is aware of the possible diesel run away problem, I can assure you there is a difference without having the total crank case vent system schematic in front of me for this year model.
I have looked at the stock oil separator, enough blow by on it can cause a runaway, however, it is there to reduce emissions, reduce crank case oil loss and reduce the risk of run away.
Monitoring the oil use of the engine is a poor substitute for the correctly engineered device.
I suggest you ask mplafleur and Larry Bible how much time it takes for an engine to run away and junk out.