View Single Post
Old 12-30-2004, 08:11 PM

Was that trade in or retail? When selling or buying privately, I go by the middle of the 2. I had a woman selling a car that was a little more than retail. I asked her why I should pay more than a dealership would sell it for. Her answer was that her BF told her it was worth $X. I asked if her BF was going to pay that much for a car with no warranty whatsoever. I bought a car from the MB dealership and while something was being inspected, we found an exhaust leak. Unhappily they had to fix it. Now, if this was a private seller, it would be a taillight warranty or a 30/30 (30 feet or 30 seconds after your check clears, whichever comes first). The dealership has to certify that the car is roadworthy whereas I can sell you a POS that has bad brakes and a front end that is held together by bubble gum.

So, why should I pay you more than the book says it is worth? IOW, if I took out a loan, would the bank loan me that much money? Probably not. So, as far as I am concerned, you can keep that car. If it was Briana Banks, Jenna Jameson or Patrick Tera's car, I might go barter just to see them. Joe blow wanting $5500 more than retail? Not a chance.
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow