View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Banned

I feel like Cassandra must have felt. You know, the mythological soothsayer blessed with perfect foreknowledge but curse with nobody ever believing her.

As we gain greater ability to bring an ever-younger preemie to full term, the collision between the natural desire to protect babies is going to smack head-on into the freedom of women to control their reproduction. This is an example of what's coming.

I think it's going to undermine may favorite argument--that a baby is viable when it can live independently of mommy. It wont be long before we (men and women) can stir-up a batch of young'un, give it a dash of this and that ability and plop that sucker in an artificial uterus and bring it to term. Soon both men and women will just be incidentally needed for procreation. When I say soon, I mean 30 years. WebWench, that's you son's reproductive age.

What a strange world that will be for us.

I knew a woman, Nicole Maxwell, who was the first girl to speak over the transcontinental telephone. Now a commonplace but then, revolutionary.

My grandmother died about 15 years ago at 101 yrs. She remembered listening to the lamplighters walking the twilight streets of Philadelphia igniting the gas streetlights. Imagine a city so quiet you could hear the POP! of gas igniting three floors below. She took my Mother (a toddler) into vote on the first vote following women's suffrage. Now a commonplace but then, revolutionary.

I didn't know a world without nuclear weapons. My kids never saw an 8-track tape.

Lets all get our copies of "Brave New World" out and read it one more time, with feeling.