View Single Post
Old 01-16-2005, 05:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willrev
Mr. Carlton, you may be right. You sound like you know quite a bit. But what if the alternator rebuild was bad? That battery may have not been getting full recharge on all the short trips I take around town for seven months. Having never gone on a long trip in a while, I may have never known my alternator was bad. I guess it would have just kept using battery.
I am quite confident that the alternator rebuild was a "quick replacement" where only the faulty part was changed. They might have only changed the regulator to get it to work. I've been down this road, personally, with the SD. They rebuild it for $80. and then, two years later, they rebuild it again for another $80. Total BS.

But, if the battery was not being charged, you would be the first to know, because a diesel requires a good battery even in warmer temperatures. You could not drive the vehicle without a functioning alternator for more than about two or three days (estimation).

If the battery is discharged, this simply means that it needs to be recharged. My thought, although incorrect, was that the old batttery was discharged and would function fine if it were properly recharged. But, if that sophisticated machine can determine that the battery will not accept a full charge even though it is currently dead, well then so be it.