View Single Post
Old 01-29-2005, 05:22 AM

Good alternatives from you guys, thanks--I've considered them all, but this afternoon I was blasted out of my decision lethargy with the drive of a Lexus SUV!

I test drove a 1999 LX470, and wow is all I can say... and I'm not easily impressed. This huge monster gives the most comfortable ride I've ever experienced even in a car, and is absolute luxury inside as well.

But the handling is the best part. Roads that used to shake the fillings from my teeth are just glossed over, and on the motorway/freeway it is an effortless cruiser. There are 4 comfort settings from soft to firm, and each one can be tailored to the road you're driving on.

Like all Japanese cars, and Toyota's Lexus in particular, the options are legion. This even has a cooler bin in the center section, seating for 7, variable height control and self levelling, rain sensing wipers, light sensing headlights, and so on.

Fuel consumption is high, but then with the SL500 I'm used to that.

The best part is that my son is a manager at Toyota, so I've got inside access to problem solving. But I needn't have worried--he raves about them and says they just don't go wrong.

So now I'm looking for coins under the sofa cushions to find twice the original budget, but I think it will be well worth it.

Ken Silver
--------------
~1993 SL500, glistening triple black, xenons, AMG facelift to 2002 style.
~1999 SLK 230 Kompressor, silver/black leather, CD, immaculate
~1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara. black & silver.
~1991 Jaguar Daimler, shiny grey/grey leather, gone tomorrow!
~ex 350SL, 230E, 280E, MX5 and a lot of other makes not nearly as nice.