View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 08:07 PM

In addtion to the ball joint press, you will need a spring compressor if you are going to replace the lower control arm bushings. I recently did my 300D front end-everything except the LCA bushings. Spent around $300 in parts: upper control arms, lower ball joints, tie rods, center link, and idler arm bushings. I found that I could buy the complete tie rod assemblies for less than purchasing the ends only.

I would recommend that you check your local shops to see if one would be willing to press you lower ball joints for a reasonable charge. It is only a 10 minute job if you bring them the steering knuckles with the old ball joints already knocked out. I was quoted $120 from one shop. Finally got it done for $20 by going through the "back door" at the local MB dealer. Alternatively, you can rent a press by mail, but I found that they were not readily available. So advance planning is necessary. No doubt other forum members will suggest that you use the free (loaner) Autozone press. I strongly advise against it.