View Single Post
Old 02-24-2005, 09:30 PM
Zero

Red face 4in of snow and the SDL is stuck!

Well tonight the conditions were the worse I have driven the SDL in. Their was 4in of fresh snow and some nice ice under it because of last weeks snow melting.

The first way I tried to get home from work I got stuck. I had to stop on a slight uphill street and couldn't go forward anymore. But I managed to back into a driveway and go down the street.

Now I tried to go another route and that went better, but I still had to get up the steep hill I live on.

So I went up the less steep part of the hill and I ran a few stop signs because I needed to get some speed up to make it up the hill. Who sticks a stop sign at the bottom of a steep hill?

Anyway I got halfway up and the rear broke lose and went right. Luckly I was able to stop it twice and keep making headway. I got 3/4 of the way up and almost came to a complete stop. I got on it and brought the rpms up to 3k or so and the rear was going right but I was moving up the hill! So I went up the rest of the hill sideways very slowly but I made it.

What I learned is this:
Fwd cars rule in the snow, when I got stuck the first time my dad came with some sand to help me. My moms fwd car with all seasons with less tread then mine had no problem at all.
awd is even better.

But if I was using my MB next winter snow tires are a must.
Also cat litter is a must.
Putting some heavy crap in my empty trunk couldn't hurt.
Also stay off the turbo, you have to keep the rpms under 2,500 because as soon as the power comes on the rear breaks lose and slides right.

The moral of this story is park the MB in the snow and use a fwd or awd car.
2007 Tiara 3200