View Single Post
Old 03-06-2005, 07:53 PM
Rogue T Intolerant!!!

Brake bleeder - power bleeder Homemade

This is for those of you like I, who sometimes read Larry Bible's or WHunters (among others) technical posts and aren't sure what you just read, although it sounded impressive. In other words, this is for my fellow light-weights who think they can't do something, but in the end it wasn't a big deal. My Saturday bleeder project:
I used this link as my instructions:
http://www.bmw-m.net/TechProc/bleeder.htm

Sprayer: $8.97 (Walmart)
Master cyl. cap $6.97 (can you believe that? Pep Boys was $5.99)
1/4" brass fitting $1.24 (Lowes)
1/4" brass fitting $1.27 (Lowes)
Vinyl Tubing 1/4 ID $1.82 (Lowes)
O'ring pack $1.27 (Lowes) probably not necessary
Nylon flat washer pack $0.92 (Lowes)
Air pressure guage $0 (had one) figure $3.00 buck or so?

I'll hit the high spots in the road:
Be sure and find a sprayer with the correct fitting to accept 1/4" I.D. tubing.
I drilled into the sprayer starting small of course, than working my way up to the size of the air guage (just a tad smaller actually). I then let the air guage 'tap' the hole. These sprayers are thicker than you think, and with loctite on the threads I have a tight guage with a good seal.
I then drilled the cap (late model G.M. cap that has to have a small canal RTV'd to seal it) I also started the hole small, and worked my way up, but when I got the the last bit, it took a small hunk out of the cap, which I RTV'd good as new.
I then used a male and femal threaded 1/4" fitting on either side of the cap. I did this so that using a very small snip of tubing on the bottom, it could rest just below the "fill" line of the Master Cyl. to get close to proper amount of fluid, and not over-fill. I o'ringed around the top of cap, and had to use a nylon washer on the bottom side to 'fill space' so the two fittings would tighten.
I attached tubing to sprayer and to top of cap.
Yall, that's it!
It is just that easy!
I'm still waiting on parts to finish up axle, hub and brake issues, but will have the bleeder ready.
I am also going to buy a cap for my F-150, and find covers at the wrecking yards for my old Camaro and Chevy pickup. Then you can just replace whatever fitting you need at the end of the tubing.
Thank you to the original "inventer" of this cheap bleeder. I just wanted to show that if I can do it, anyone can.
Jimmy
Attached Thumbnails
Brake bleeder - power bleeder Homemade-bleeder-parts.jpg   Brake bleeder - power bleeder Homemade-cap-damage.jpg   Brake bleeder - power bleeder Homemade-cap-pieces.jpg   Brake bleeder - power bleeder Homemade-cap-close.jpg  

Gone:
'95 E300 188K "Batmobile" Texas Unfriendly Black
'85 300TD 235K "The Wagon" Texas Friendly White
'80 240D 154K "China" Scar engine installed
'81 300TD 240K "Smash"
'80 240D 230K "The Squash"
'81 240D 293K"Scar" Rear ended harder than Elton John

Last edited by JimmyL; 03-06-2005 at 08:10 PM.